This is a Thanksgiving-inspired entry, but I think gratitude should be a daily practice. This month, I have been keeping a small notebook and listing down things I am choosing gratitude for. The entries are not long — someone sentence fragments — but they help me to recognize beauty and appreciate it when I see it.
It’s so easy to focus on the things that aren’t going right or not our way, no matter the multitude of good things that we receive. This notebook has been a way to remind me of all the good. Here are a few of my entries:
- A burst of hot water through the tap on a frigid November morning.
- The smell of the earth after it rains.
- Rebelliously hopeful blue skies that peek from behind ominous rain clouds.
- The way the last peachy rays of light that hit cotton-ball clouds at dusk.
- A blizzard of fall leaves that dance in the street, tumbling, turning, and twisting amongst tires of drivers too busy to notice.
Drop a comment and tell me what you’re choosing gratitude for today.
Francophile; lover of ice cream, ballet flats, and skirts with pockets. Photographing light, life, and JOY in San Francisco and Paris with my film cameras, Norman and Cecil.